Associate, Andrew gives an insight into his work and home life. Find out more about him below..
Describe a typical day at work
- Update to-do-list each morning and check for anything urgent that came in overnight.
- Check schedule for the day and find space for focused working time in between meetings
- Liaise with colleagues in the morning who are working with me on projects to understand if we are on target to meet our deadlines.
- Set up meetings with colleagues to discuss workload for the day/week
- Focused work time to deliver personal actions
- Have some time away from the desk at lunch to recharge in the breakout space
- Attend meetings
- Continue with any further focused work time
- Revaluate to-do-list and actions with colleagues.
What’s your background?
I left school uncertain of what to study at university so became a chef! I fell into it really, saw an advertisement in the paper and thought, I’d like to learn how to cook. It was an incredible experience that taught me a great deal of discipline as a young adult.
For someone looking to enter the construction industry then a good entry in is via a built and natural environment course at a university. This will give you a wide variety of professions in the sector and allow you to choose the route you want to take into a degree proper.
For budding cost consultants then simply hard work and dedication will take you very far. There will be many moments of self-doubt from yourself and others but embrace the challenge, ignore the noise around you and if in doubt ask.
Proudest project at Concert?
I’m very new to Concert but all of the projects I am associated with so far have huge potential to be incredible schemes from a large Lambeth Resi Development to a small boutique Office refurb in the City.
Which building (can be anywhere in the world and any type of building) do you love the most?
La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, the history and context of this building makes it one of the most unique buildings in the history of modern construction. It is also spectacular inside and out.
What are three items you would take with you to a desert island and why?
Aside from the basics to keep you alive…..
- Pillow, of course
- Endless supply of Tony’s chocolate!
If you had to listen to one song for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Max Richter Spring 2 Recomposed: Four Seasons.
Where is your favourite place you have been on holiday and why?
Azores – Portugal; Tiny group of islands in the middle of the Atlantic; incredible nature, trekking and sea life surrounding you. The only place in the world where Oak trees and pineapples can grow next to each other!