HR Manager, Parminder gives an insight into her work and home life. Find out more about her below..
Describe a typical day at work
- I start my day by checking my to-do-list and my calendar for meetings scheduled that day
- Following up on recruitment needs and requirements within various departments
- Ascertaining training needs within the organisation
- Cross checking budgetary considerations with the Finance Director
- Updating or creating policies
- Prepping for items in accordance with the HR annual calendar and responding to ad-hoc queries.
What’s your background?
Since leaving university my career has been centred around HR and to aid my progression as a HR practitioner, I undertook a Masters in Human Resource Management. I have worked in various sectors including retail, leisure, transport police, games and software.
Utilise existing opportunities to develop your skills, capabilities and experience. Be an active and thoughtful team player, seek constructive feedback and look for ways to improve, become savvy with packages such as Microsoft and seek ways to develop your public speaking ability. All this will give you a boost of confidence when entering the industry.
Which building (can be anywhere in the world and any type of building) do you love the most?
The Golden Temple in Amritsar, India.
What are three items you would take with you to a desert island?
Water filter, phone with photos, insect repellent
If you had to listen to one song for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Sia – Chandelier
Where is your favourite place you have been on holiday and why?
Santorini for my honeymoon. Beautiful, scenic and peaceful views.
What’s your dream alternative career and why?
Child or family psychologist. Or a content creator as I did learn how to make and edit videos during lockdown.